Riot stricken firms must file insurance claims urgently, warns Mitchell Charlesworth Insurance Solutions

Mitchell Charlesworth Insurance Solutions Director, Richard Gorst, has warned that small to medium sized firms hit by the riots which engulfed cities and towns across the UK must now file their insurance claims as a matter of the 'utmost urgency'.

Mr Gorst said under the Riot Damages Act of 1886, both the insured and insurers are permitted to pursue claims against the Police Authority, who effectively failed to keep law and order. However, to do so they must file for damages within 42 days of the incident having occurred, to the relevant Police Authority. Please note that the Act allows 14 clear days to file a claim but the UK insurance industry has welcomed David Cameron's announcement to extend to the maximum of 42 days the amount of time claims can be made under the scheme. In addition, the insured must also report the incident to their insurer and this should be done within 7 days to ensure the usual policy condition is met. It is essential that this procedure of "double reporting" is followed.

"This is a very worrying and frightening situation which the vast majority of businesses will never have faced before," he said. "I recommend you report the incident to both the Police Authority and your Insurer immediately, retain any CCTV evidence, photographs or witness evidence and be prepared to give a statement to the insurer's representatives. Please also ensure you do not place yourself or your staff in any danger whilst trying to protect you property and keep a copy of your insurance, stock and accounting records offsite"

Businesses wanting further information can Email: or call any member of the Mitchell Charlesworth insurance team in Liverpool: 0151 255 2300; Manchester: 0161 817 6100; Chester: 01244 323051; Warrington: 01925 635141; Widnes: 0151 423 7500

Post a comment

Registered to carry on audit work in the UK and Ireland by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for investment business