Twitter Message Double chevron left Chevron right Double chevron right Double chevron up Double chevron down Arrow right Menu Call Plus Minus Search Facebook Twitter LinkedIn LinkedIn-square Arrow Download Pin User Telephone Mail

Reporting Coronavirus grants and support payments on tax returns

As you will be aware, there have been many taxable grants and support payments available from government schemes for both businesses and self-employed individuals during COVID-19. The government has now produced guidance to assist individuals when deciding whether or not such payments should be included on their Self-Assessment Tax Return (where their agents do not complete either SA103S or SA103F on their behalf already).

Who should report a grant or support payment?

Individuals that received a grant or support payment during COVID-19, may need to report this on their tax return if they are:

  • Self-employed
  • In a partnership
  • A business.

Payments that need to be reported

Grants and support payments from COVID-19 support schemes should be reported. These include:

  • The Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)
  • Test and Trace or self-isolation payments
  • The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS)
  • Eat Out to Help Out
  • Coronavirus Statutory Sick Pay Rebate
  • Coronavirus Business Support Grants, also known as local authority grants or business rate grants and made by one of the following:
    • Local authorities
    • Devolved administrations.

A list of grants made by devolved administrations can be found here but some examples of such grants in England are:

  • Small Business Grant Fund
  • Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund
  • Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund.

Payments that do not need to be reported

Any COVID-19 support payments made by a council to an individual and classed as a welfare payment, do not need to be reported. These include:

  • Council tax payments
  • Housing benefit.

Loans, such as Bounce Back Loans or those from the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS) are not classed as COVID-19 support payments and therefore do not need to be reported.

How to report a grant or payment

Any SEISS payments should be reported in the ‘Self Employment Income Support Scheme Grant’ box within the Self-Assessment form. All other taxable COVID-19 payments should be reported in the ‘any other business income’ box.

Individuals who are self-employed can find out how to report grant or support payments as follows:

Individuals in a partnership can find out how to report grant or support payments as follows:

Further information

For further guidance as to whether a COVID-19 support payment is taxable, please contact the Coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline.

Full government guidance can be found here.

Written 10 August 2021.

  • Contact us
    Contact us

    For further information please contact a member of the team:

  • Newsletter Sign Up
    You can unsubscribe from receiving communications from us at any time. Please be assured that we would never share your contact details with any third party without your prior agreement. By ticking this box we will treat this as your consent to receive communications from us under the prevailing data protection legislation in force in the UK.