Signing up to Making Tax Digital for VAT - Important information
As you will be aware, Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT is now live and all businesses registered for VAT and trading above the VAT registration threshold (unless deferred or exempt) must maintain digital records and submit their VAT returns through functional compatible software. The first VAT return required to be submitted under the MTD rules is the first full VAT period starting on or after 1 April 2019.
All businesses must sign up to MTD, even if your VAT returns will be filed by us or another business. You will need the following information to be able to do this:
- Your Government Gateway login details
- Your VAT number
You can sign up to MTD by clicking the button below:
Important points to note
- Once a business activates MTD for VAT they are no longer able to file VAT returns through the normal online service so it is important that you do not sign up before you have submitted your last pre MTD return, unless you want to join voluntarily
- If you pay your VAT liability by direct debit you will be unable to sign up to MTD for VAT in the 7 days leading up to, or the 5 working days after your VAT return is due. This is to allow the direct debit to be taken and allocated to the correct VAT return
- If you are submitting your own VAT returns you will need to authorise your software as it will likely have a pre and post MTD VAT return filing portal
- If we are submitting your VAT returns, please inform your point of contact at Mitchell Charlesworth once you are signed up to MTD so that we can authorise you through our software.
If you have any questions about MTD please contact a member of the team below and we will be able to assist with any issues you may have.