Happy New Year to you and welcome to the January 2019 edition of Mitchell Charlesworth’s charity newsletter. Our publication is compiled by our specialist team of charity advisors based across our offices in the North West, who provide practical, reliable support to the local charity community.
At the time of going to print, there’s still a tinge of uncertainty in the air with regards to Brexit and its implications for the sector, and so for this edition, we’ve focused on what we do know, including the fact that Making Tax Digital is still very much on the agenda for 1st April 2019! If you’re unsure as to whether your charity complies with the requirements, you can contact our Making Tax Digital team who are very happy to conduct a readiness review of your VAT processes.
As it’s the New Year it’s always a great time to take stock of things. For example, are you confident that you’re minimizing the impact of VAT on your charity’s expenditure? Our VAT Partner Alison Birch has set out some housekeeping points of note.
Are you thinking of recruitment for the year ahead? We’ve set out some hints and tips and signposted some helpful resources to help you with Trustee recruitment. There’s also a word of caution if you’re considering using temporary staff, given the recent ruling in Adecco’s action at the Court of Appeal concerning VAT on the supply of temporary staff.
A reminder that we are always looking at ways by which to promote our charity clients’ aims and services, and if you would like us to shine the spotlight on your particular charity in the next edition, please get in touch with Cara Bartlett.
Finally, we hope you find this newsletter useful. If there are any particular areas that you would like to discuss with the team further, please do not hesitate to contact our specialist partners:
- VAT and the supply of temporary staff: implications for charities
- Charity Update: Changes to the Charity SORP (FRS102)
- Charity Fraud most often committed from within
- Construction – Relevant Charitable Purpose
- Final Reminder: Making Tax Digital for VAT
- Civil Society Strategy – what charities need to know
- Tips on Trustee Recruitment
- Charity branding tips
- Charity Commission accounts monitoring review
- ICO reveals ‘areas for improvement’ following risk reviews of eight charities
- VAT housekeeping for charities