From tomorrow, 1 May 2020, there will be two significant VAT changes:
The first is the Value Added Tax (Zero Rate for Personal Protective Equipment) (Coronavirus) Order 2020. This allows for the supply of equipment to provide protection from infection in the period 1st May 2020 to 31st October 2020 to be zero-rated. The zero-rate extends to the following items only:
- disposable gloves
- disposable plastic aprons
- disposable fluid-resistant coveralls or gowns
- surgical masks (including fluid-resistant type IIR surgical masks)
- filtering face piece respirators and
- eye and face protection (including single or reusable full-face visors or goggles).
Secondly, in the Budget in March 2020 it was announced that e-Publications would be zero-rated from 1 December 2020 but this has been fast tracked and now comes in tomorrow. Publishers are expected to pass this saving on to the readers as this change is being implemented to reduce the price of publications so reading is more accessible to people whilst they are staying at home.
If you have any questions about the above, please do not hesitate to contact our VAT Partner, Alison Birch.